It is the IIFYM diet for you?
The media calls it the Donut Diet. Bodybuilders and celebrities began taking the idea. IIFYM is diet, which is short for “if it fits your macros.”
IIFYM’s popularity may be attributable to the fact that it is flexible enough to suit almost any personal fitness goal. On the other hand, it may require more work than I had in mind.
Macros refer to this diet macronutrients, which are proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. You will have to figure out how many calories to eat each group and the total number of calories you consume each day.
Follow these steps to determine your macros:
Define your goals. Figuring out how many calories you burn depends on many factors, including your height, weight, age, and activity level. Online calculators can help you determine how many calories to cut based on how much weight you want to lose.
- Start with proteins. Most experts recommend getting 10% to 35% of their calories from protein. Because IIFYM started with bodybuilders, some plans advocate much more protein. Resetting the data if less athletic. You may want to talk to your doctor about the amount of protein that is safe for you.
- Remember carbohydrates. The recommended daily amount of carbohydrates is 45% to 65%. Foods like vegetables, fruits, breads and provide most of your energy because your body can convert into glucose.
- Add fat. That leaves 20% to 35% of their calories from fat. Foods like oils and nuts help your body perform essential functions such as absorption of nutrients and hormone production.
Other elements of the diet IIFYM
There are a few things to consider whether to use the IIFYM diet.
Try these tips to successfully follow the program:
Focus on quality. The biggest gap in standard IIFYM plans is the lack of attention to the quality of food. Not all proteins, carbohydrates and fats are created equal. It is still important to make smart to include healthy, nutritious food choices.
- portions monitor. There are no forbidden foods in the diet IIFYM, but too much chocolate will push you over your calorie limits. Learn to estimate portion sizes or buy a scale so you can measure your portions.
- Proceed plans gradually. Most IIFYM recommend cutting calories by 20%. You may want to change those numbers slightly, but it is a reasonable starting point compared to crash diets that can slow down your metabolism and actually make store more fat.
- Exercise regularly. Any diet will produce more effective results if the level of activity at the same time is increased. Try to exercise for at least half an hour at least 3 days a week. Train for strength, flexibility, balance and cardiovascular capacity.
- Plan ahead. It will be easier to meet your goals if you design a daily menu in advance. That way you will not deviate by empty calories and will be prepared for challenges like dining out.
- Go online. Technology can make IIFYM diet easier and more fun. Find a free calculator for download to your phone to keep track of what you eat each day. IIFYM join other fans on Instagram and other social media to share their progress.
If you like to use technology to track your fitness, you can enjoy the IIFYM diet. On the other hand, there are many other effective ways to manage your weight if you find calculating your macros a little too tedious.
To see if this could work for you complete the quick quiz below:
Some error has occured.